Neptune (ネプテューヌ, Neputūnu), also known as Purple Heart (パープルハート, Pāpuru Hāto), is the main character of the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise. She is the Console Patron Unit (CPU) of Planeptune. Neptune personifies a fictional Sega console, although her name was inspired by the Sega Neptune, which combined the Sega Genesis and 32X but was never released.
Due to the Neptunia series being a game that revolves around different universes and dimensions, there are multiple Neptune's throughout the series though all of them retain more or less the same personalities and core aspects regardless of the setting.
Hardware Information. The Sega Neptune was to be a Sega Genesis / Mega Drive combined with the 32X that was meant to be a stop-gap solution until the Sega Saturn was released; it was ultimately cancelled by Sega in October 1995, with Sega citing fears that it would dilute their marketing for the Saturn while being priced too close to the Saturn to be a viable competitor. In the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, Neptune does not personify this unreleased console - it was merely an inspiration for her name.
It should also be noted that unlike the other goddesses in the game, Neptune's console has never been hinted to change, but rather the technology for it simply improves while the console itself remains unchanged.
Another thing to note is that in the first Hyperdimension Neptunia game, for Neptune's second special attack she is seen turning into her console which in turns opens up and becomes a fighter jet that is capable of firing a Wave Motion Canon. In Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, she is seen assuming the Fighter Jet form again in her Final Hard Form, but this time instead of the Wave Motion Canon she is shown to fire a barrage of missiles. However, during Plutia's Final Hard Form where Plutia becomes a Stealth Bomber, Neptune takes her jet form again and is shown to be firing a Wave Motion Canon alongside her. This shows that Neptune and the other goddesses are capable of assuming forms outside of their normal Human and Goddess forms.
Neptune Console Specs
Conversational Operations: A.I. Model Neptune
It provides various complex support functions via an autonomous A.I. Even a simple auditory command will cause it to automatically configure advanced network settings.
The longer you and the machine work together and communicate, the more it will adapt to your preferences and carry out your requests with minimal error.
The Sixth Generation Multi-BiOS Chip (512.16THz~)
Features multiple split-core processors and circuitry setups mimicking the precise functions of human DNA.
Please be careful of the follow:
8TB x 16
Processor Memory: The Sixth Generation Neuron Memory (120gn)
There are 1,200,000,000 nervous memory functions embedded in each split-core processor unit.
Direct image output compatible.
8PB x 4
There are four independent drives which constantly back one another up for minimal data loss and frequent disk defragmenting. A total of thirty-two petabytes of storage space is available.
Embedded with Quad PRD (Purple-Ray Disc) Drive
Plays 4D games, audio, and movies, with the ability to simultaneously record them. You can play multi-disc games without replacing discs.
Features Self Auto-Recharging Unit
You can use the extra power remaining during Stand-by Mode and apply it to your household appliances.
|OUTPUT||With the Play Controller, it's able to output information such as movies and music databases, and tickle you.|
|INCLUDES||Play Controller x1, Power Cable x1|
|DOES NOT INCLUDE||Power Cable (Multi-Tap)|
- Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection as a playable character.
- Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart as a playable character.
- Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed as a playable character.
- MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies as a playable character.
- Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls as a playable character and a supporting character.
- Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online as a playable character as both her human form and an NPC based on her goddess form.
- Super Neptunia RPG as a playable character.
- Neptunia Shooter as a playable character.
Neptune performs various quests in order to perform her duty of keeping the peace. This includes:
- Assisting Blanc for Christmas
- Helping out the New Year Celebrations
- Assisting Nisa in heroic deeds
- Assisting Noire with tracking the remnants of ASIC
- Learning how to accept her mistakes she makes in quests
- Teach Noire learn how to swim
She continues to perform various quests in order to keep the peace in Gamindustri, this time with the candidates helping out:
- Explore the mysteries of Dreamcass Island
- Stop another one of ASIC's plans
- Teach counterfeit goddesses what it means to be goddesses
- Start an idol group
- Get lots of chocolate through a love potion
- Thwart ASIC's plans in Pammycom Land
In Volume 3, Neptune awakens Plutia and Peashy, who have no idea why they were awaken. Together, all the goddesses continues to keep the peace and order in Gamindustri. Neptune's other adventures include:
- Taking care of the candidates who were turned into babies
- Taking a test of courage in Gamindustri Graveyard
- Defeating ASIC in beach volleyball
- Defending the Gamindustri Althetics Festival
- Attempting to eat an eggplant as a New Year's Resolution
- Attempt to get Valentine chocolate early
In Volume 4, Neptune discovers the truth about Plutia and Peashy's hibernation and reawakening. In addition to that, she discovers Rei Ryghts who she decides to help out. In doing so, she put Planeptune at risk of takeover with ASIC but with a little bit of help Neptune was able to save her city. In addition to that, Neptune discovers who is behind a series bikini thefts and saves Dreamcass Island from ASIC as Aragami.
Neptune serves as a main character.
Neptune serves as a main character.
On the Moshi Megami Ga Yome Dattara LoveLove Shichau Kamo Shirenai. drama CD, Neptune tries to wake up her husband so she can spend time with him on their holiday off. Despite her efforts in human form, she is unable to get him up so instead she transforms into Purple Heart and tries again for a second time. This time it proves to be successful and then she reverts back to her human form.
Neptune states that she plans the have the two of them play video games all day til the next morning as part spending time together and starts off with a racing game. Due to her moving around so much while playing, her skirt lifts up which causes her husband to be distracted and ultimately lose the race. Neptune is embarrassed by this but ends up forgiving him for staring at her like that.
Having not eaten anything since they woke up, Neptune's husband goes to get something to eat and Neptune requests for him to bring back a cup of pudding while she plays by herself for a bit. When he return, Neptune has him feed her the pudding while she plays but eventually ends up having the spoon jab her on the side of the mouth.
Being in extreme pain from this, Neptune suggests an alternate method to being fed. She sits down on his lap and says that he can hug her and feed her at the same time. Neptune finds herself distracted by his strong embrace and ends up losing the race on the game. Her husband then tells her to get off since she lost, but she blames him for distracting her and says that he have to feed her the rest of her pudding instead.
On the Megami-Tachi Ga Soine Shite Kurechau CD, Neptune promises to stay with "him" until you fall asleep, but she has no idea how to get him to sleep. She suggests counting kangaroos because for a long time whenever she did it she would fall asleep more easily. However, when she does this she slowly begins to fall asleep herself and begins to dream about pudding.
When she is hit on the head, she wakes up and says that she felt so warm and secure that she ended up drifting off to sleep. She then gets the idea to hug him under the impression that feeling her close to him would make him feel secure and thus lull him to sleep in no time at all. Though, this idea doesn't work in the least. Neptune assumes that his heart is beating really fast and that's why he can't sleep.
For her next idea, she suggests that he hug her instead as if he's hugging a pillow, but forbids touching her anywhere weird. Eventually he stops hugging her, believing that it's like embracing a kid and it feels wrong somehow. This upsets Neptune and she decides that she has no other choice but to transform into Purple Heart.
Purple Heart comments on how docile he's suddenly become now that she's in her goddess form and wonders what would happen if she hugged him. She comments on how he still feels warm even when she's transformed, but now that she's in goddess form she can feel his warmth multiple times compared to her small body in human form. She says that she's only doing this for him because he's special.
He asks for her to release him but you because now he can't sleep due to his heart beating. Instead she says that now that she's gotten into the mood she has no intention of letting him go and wants to hug him all night, forever and ever. After he falls asleep for a few minutes, Neptune reverts to human form and begins saying "Boing, boing, like a kangaroo" over and over again and says that she told him she had no intention of letting him sleep that night.
- Touch Shot! Love Application: Neptune makes an appearance in the game as part of a custom skin that can be used on the main character's yPhone. The skin features both her and Nepgear from Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 and uses their Gamipics as part of the icons on the protagonists phone while the wallpaper of the phone is taken from the official wallpaper from Hyperidmension Neptunia mk2 that features both Neptune and Nepgear.
- Mugen Souls: Neptune's clothing is available for peons and characters via downloadable content that can only be obtained from a DLC Code in one of the Dengeki PlayStation magazines. The DLC pack is included in the game's PC version for all regions.
- Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed: Neptune appears as a cameo on one of the billboards, promoting the Blu-Ray release of the anime. Purple Heart cameos in the game as part of the Hyperdimension Neptunia Set downloadable content in the form of the "Neptunia Hug Pillow" weapon and "Neptunia T-Shirt".
- Mugen Souls Z: As part of the Overwhelming Game's Triple Goddess Costume Set downloadable content, the player can obtain equipment that can allow Peons to dress up and resemble Neptune. This DLC pack includes, Neptune's entire Parka Dress outfit, her hairstyle, her face, and a portrait of her.
- Monster Monpiece: As a two stage card that shifts between her human and goddess forms.
- Fairy Fencer F: Neptune makes an appearance as a DLC accessory for Fang, the protagonist of the game. The accessory is Neptune as a plush-toy clinging to Fang's arm.
- Ange Vierge: As part of a collaboration event gacha with the other goddesses.
- Million Arthur: In a number of collaboration event gachas alongside other characters in Neptunia.
- Azur Lane: As one of the obtainable characters in the game as a collaboration, along with other goddesses.
- Trillion: God of Destruction: Neptune and the other CPUs appear in a DLC event, where she and the other CPUs get accidentally sent to their world.
- Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash: Neptune is one of the guest characters set to appear as DLC as part of a collaboration.
- Spelunker World: Players can dress up their character as Neptune as she appears in Cyberdimension Neptune: 4 Goddesses Online by equipping the corresponding head and body gear.
- Azur Lane: Crosswave: As a playable DLC character in the game as a pre-order bonus.
- Houkai Gakuen 2: In Houkai Gakuen 2 CN as part of crossover, player can obtain Purple Heart Sword, Neptune's 4 Goddesses Online outfit and Neptune Doll through crystal gacha, Ultra Dimension Neptune familiar through familiar gacha (in very short time), Neptune badge through egg dealer, while herself as a playable character + 3000 crystals bundle must be bought through Activity Package which is priced 258 yuan (way cheaper than 328 yuan 3280 crystals).
Neptune was also the first custom character featured as event egg dealer instead of Ling Yi as usual as Neptune badge awaken use same image.
Player can also awaken the sword and badge to unlock animated main menu background which she can initiate a random line of dialogue.
Audio samples do not work on iPad or any medium that does not support the .ogg audio format.
|Smile Spiral||Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2||Neptune and Nepgear's character song duet for the Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 Hyperdimension Neptunia Duet Sisters Vol.1 album.|
|Lady Cool ~ Purple Heart||Purple Heart's solo song.|
|Smile Spiral_Remix||A remixed version of Smile Spiral released on the Hyperdimension Neptunia Share Complete Discs set.|
|Purple Heart's Theme||Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory||In Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Purple Heart has her own theme composed by Nobuo Uematsu's Band, the Earthbound Papas. It notably serves as the main boss battle theme for the first half of the game and occasionally plays in cutscenes.|
|Fly High!||Neptune's first song on the Hyperdimension Neptunia Shugo Megami Character Song CD Vol.1 album|
|Purple Energy||Neptune's second song on the Hyperdimension Neptunia Shugo Megami Character Song CD Vol.1 which is preformed by her goddess form.|
|Fly High! (idol dance ver)||Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection||In Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection it is a remixed version of Fly High!.|
|With Confidence (idol dance ver)||Neptune's version of Noire's song.|
|HP ∞ LOVE Power (idol dance ver)||Neptune's version of Vert's song.|
|Dear... every day (idol dance ver)||Neptune's version of Blanc's song.|
|Mira Infinity||The final song unlocked in Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection. It was later released on the Hyperdimension Neptunia Share Complete Discs set with both a solo version and a group version with the other CPUs.|
|Dreaming At Full Power||A bonus song for that was only available on the Hyperdimension Neptunia Share Complete Discs collection.|
|Perfect Purple||Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed||Neptune and Nepgear's theme which plays whenever either transforms.|
|Mousou 4tune||Megadimension Neptunia VII||The opening song for the Hyper Dimension Neptunia G arc. Neptune sings this with the other three Hyper Dimension CPUs.|
|Mousou Katharsis||The opening song for the Heart Dimension Neptunia H arc. Neptune sings this with Orange Heart.|
Creation and Development
In an interview with the character artist for the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, Tsunako, it is revealed that Neptune was not originally intended to be the main character. Tsunako was working with a different name and concept with Noire serving as main protagonist and the three heroines being Noire, Blanc, and Vert. She was asked to draw a few other character samples and one which was very well received was Neptune's original look. This led to the creation of Neptune as a new main protagonist.
Neptune's original look was drawn with the idea of the Roman god Neptune, the king of the sea that is her namesake. Blue was the key color, and according to Tsunako the look gives a mysterious impression.
Tsunako comments that during the development, the attire Purple Heart wears in Next Form became a suit which depicts the evolution of the next generation, and an image of growth. A "V"-like symbol was used for the lines of the neck and the buttocks. It became a feeling of a splendid black brightened by purple, and when it was assimilated in the hair, it could also be called the motif of the planet Neptune itself.
She states that she has used light blue as luminescent color before, but this time this has been taken over, blending the pink hue of the clear area with a luminescent blue which gives the feeling of everything being purple at first glance.  The hairstyle changed by having a polarized color and by unwinding the braid from the middle. Tsunako says it took her in total approximately half a year to come up with the design, including the preparatory work on the Next Form itself, temporarily stopping work to restart from scratch, while working on other projects at the same time.
In 2012-13, the concepts for the Next Forms were drawn. In October 2014, an illustration of Tsunako's Purple Heart Next Form was released.
Her name is ultimately based of the unreleased home console, the Sega Neptune.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://web.archive.org/web/20131108092820/http://www.ariablarg.tv/2012/11/interview-nisa-hyperdimension-neptunia-victory/
- ↑ http://senrankagura.marv.jp/series/kaguraPBS/guide/product_dlc.php?dlctab=10#dlc10
- ↑ https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1017821190633676801
- ↑ https://webstatic.mihayo.com/bh2/event/e20190821neptune/index.html
- ↑ http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14382&sid=1b40b372ed4db9a4c2db6cac1c0eb4db&start=2850#p785663
- ↑ http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14382&start=2865#p785721