Super Neptunia RPG ( 勇者ネプテューヌ
世界よ宇宙よ刮目せよ！！ アルティメットＲＰＧ宣言！！, lit. Brave Neptune: World & Universe! Pay Attention!! Ultimate RPG Declaration!) is a 2D sidescrolling RPG being co-developed by Artisan Studios, a Canadian developer. This game marks the first time an official game in the series has ever been developed by a company not located in Japan.
The game follows the four CPUs, Neptune, Noire, Blanc, and Vert, all of whom have amnesia, in a version of Gamindustri that revolves around 2D gaming. Carrying a strange book, Neptune sets off on some kind of adventure.
"In a world where 2D games reign supreme, an organization called Bombyx Mori forces its citizens to churn out 2D games as offerings to their leader. Those who dare to use new technologies or whose games don’t meet their standards risk banishment to the soul-crushing Trial Grounds. A girl awakens in this world with no recollection of anything beyond her name, Neptune, and soon realizes she possesses great strength. With her newfound sense of heroism and a strange book known as Histoire in hand, she sets off on a journey to see if there might be more than this two-dimensional life."
The game takes place in a beautifully scenic version of Gamindustri, where taxes are paid in 2D games.
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka (Japanese), Melissa Fahn (English)
- The protagonist, and hero. She woke up without her memories, remembering only her name. After defeating a monster, she convinced herself that she was a "hero". She gathers her friends and goes on a journey.
- Voiced by: Asami Imai (Japanese), Erica Mendez (English)
- When she regained consciousness, she lost her memories, and began looking for clues to her identity. All she can remember is her name. After encountering Blanc, who also has amnesia, she started living with her on rewards they earned from the guild. Not finding any leads about herself makes her very frustrated, but she feels better after laying down.
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi (Japanese), Wendee Lee (English)
- When she regained consciousness, she had lost her memories, remembering only her name. She lives together with Noire, who also lost her memories, living on rewards from the guild. She's very fond of books, choosing to read over searching for her memories. She is quick-witted, but when unsure of what to do, she has an intracranial meeting to figure out her next move.
- Voiced by: Rina Satou (Japanese), Carrie Keranen (English)
- When she regained consciousness, she had lost her memories, remembering only her name. An innkeeper took her in, allowing her to live at the inn without paying rent in exchange for transporting supplies to a nearby resistance base. She seems satisfied with her current life and is relatively uninterested in regaining her memories.
- Voiced by: Stephanie Sheh (English)
- A pretty thick book. There are some unreadable characters inside. It seems to have emotions, and sometimes shines.
- Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi (Japanese), Laura Post (English)
- A woman being chased by the Bombyx Mori. She refuses to divulge anything about herself. One day, she meets Neptune, but leaves her with only Histoire and some advice.
- Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi (Japanese), Reba Buhr (English)
- The leader of the Bombyx Mori who loves 2D games, but declares that 3D games are nothing but pure evil.
- Paix St. Gliss
- Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (Japanese), Faye Mata (English)
- One of the Bombyx Mori's Three Musketeers. She has a fiery passion for 8-bit music. She leads Bombyx Mori and holds a deep devotion to her cause.
- Artura Arrima
- Voiced by: Ellen Taira (Japanese), Allegra Clark (English)
- One of the Three Musketeers, and the overseer of the Trial Grounds, where Bombyx Mori sends criminals. The citizens have taken to calling her the "Mad King" because of the insane trials she puts innocent people through. She aggressively pursues Neptune with the intent of taking her to the Trial Grounds.
- Ester Zira
- Voiced by: Tomoko Kaneda (Japanese), Corina Boettger (English)
- One of the Bombyx Mori's Three Musketeers. A dangerous, but playful girl who loves experiments and fiddling with machines. She's also fearless enough to give the Mad King, Artura Arrima, the nickname "Arty." Her best buddy, Chocoman, stands tall against Neptune and the others.
- Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka (Japanese), Erika Harlacher (English)
- The leader of the Resistance, an organization opposed to the Bombyx Mori. She has gathered a lot of deep trust from her members. She holds a mysterious brush and disguises are her specialty. She loves to paint.
- Voiced by: Kana Ueda (Japanese), Kate Higgins (English)
- A girl with a good head on her shoulders, who lives with Compa. However, she's suspected of being inflicted with the chuuni disease. She is investigating the underwater city, and the notes she's written of her movements may or may not be easily read by a certain group of people.
- Voiced by: Kanako Sakai (Japanese), Cristina Vee (English)
- An air-headed, clumsy girl who lives with IF. She's always smiling, and she works together with IF in order to make a living. She’s a supremely talented cook, as well as a very competent nurse who would do anything for her friends.
- Old School Dungeons! – Explore gorgeously painted, interactive dungeons in a style inspired by classic gaming titles.
- Follow the Leader! – Enter turn-based battles where the party’s attack style changes based on the battle leader. Switch leaders on the fly, transform mid-battle, and use elemental attacks to maximize your team’s strategy!
- Save Gamindustri! – In a time where retro gaming and 3D graphics are at polar ends, this story delves headfirst into the debate for a self-aware ribbing of gaming culture.
- 2D Comes to Life! – The hand-drawn art of Neptunia series artist Tsunako is brought to life by Artisan Studios, showing the characters in a whole new way!
- Opening Theme: Dia vo Lhizer by Eri Sasaki
- Ending Theme: Never ending true stories by Asaka
- Soundtrack: Super Neptunia RPG Official Soundtrack
- This is the first Neptunia game to be released on a Nintendo console.
- Regardless of whether DLC is included or not, this game has the smallest cast of playable characters in the series, with only 8 and 5, respectively.